Your roof—It’s the first line of defense from the elements, it helps to keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter and adds to the overall curb appeal of your property. If it fails for any reason, then you could be facing costly repairs, loss of property, and in some instances, loss of life. This is why when it becomes necessary to repair or replace your roof, choosing a certified and reputable roofer/contractor is of the upmost importance.
With the average roofing cost falling between $5000- $15,000, homeowners want to make sure that they aren’t just going to be giving their money to a stranger, who may just run off and leave them with the same, if not more, problems than they had initially.
What is a Homeowner to do?
Choosing a roofer can be a daunting task, especially if you live in a coastal region where severe weather has frequent impacts on the community. There are more than likely, more options than you can shake a stick at. How do you find a quality roofer?
What to look for in a “quality” roofer:
- Quality of work: A good roofer will use high-quality materials and workmanship to ensure that your roof is properly installed and will last for many years to come.
- Safety: Roofing can be a dangerous job, so it’s important to hire a roofer who is experienced and takes safety precautions.
- Warranty: A good roofer will offer a warranty on their work, so you can be sure that your roof is covered if there are any problems.
- Communication: A good roofer will be clear and upfront about the costs and timeline for your project. They will also be responsive to your questions and concerns.
Often after a storm, there will be an increase in “fly by night” roofers & other less than reputable contractors & companies who will pop up, with promises of fast and cheap repairs or replacements but as the adage goes, “you get what you pay for” leaving many homeowners with even more issues than they had prior to making a call. Listed below are a few tips to consider BEFORE you select a roofer:
- Get a second & third opinion: multiple estimates: If you find a roofer you are considering, get a written quote. Then get quotes from at least three different roofers before making a final decision. This will help you to compare prices and services.
- Check references: Ask each roofer for references from previous customers. This will give you an idea of their work quality and customer service. Additionally, if you wish to have a FORTIFIED™ roof, ensure that they have been certified through the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS). While any roofer can technically, perform the work* (only if the strict Fortified™ roof guidelines are followed), FORTIFIED™ Roofers or Professionals are certified and have gone through a specialized training program to ensure that they understand how to install Fortified™ roofs.
- Make sure they are licensed and insured: Make sure the roofer you choose is licensed, bonded, and insured in your state before hiring. This will protect you in case there are any problems with the work.
- Ask about their experience: Ask how long the roofer has been in business and what type of experience they have with your type of roof.
- Trust your gut: If you don’t feel comfortable with a particular roofer, don’t hire them. There are plenty of other qualified roofers out there.
Taking the time to choose the right roofer is an important investment in your home. If you utilize these tips, you can be sure that you’re getting a quality roofer that will install a roof to last for many years to come.
Additional factors to consider when choosing a roofer:
- The type of roof you have: Different types of roofs require different types of materials and installation methods. Make sure the roofer you choose has experience with the type of roof you have.
- The climate in your area: The climate in your area will affect the type of roof you need. If you live in an area with heavy snowfall, you’ll need a roof that can withstand the weight of the snow.
- Your budget: Roofing can be an expensive project, so it’s important to set a budget before you start shopping for roofers.
By considering all factors, you can be sure to choose the right roofer for your needs.
TL:DR About choosing the right roofer:
- Do your research: Before you start getting estimates, do some research online and read reviews from other homeowners. This will give you a good starting point for finding a qualified roofer.
- Be prepared: When you meet with roofers, be prepared to answer questions about your roof and your needs. This will help them to give you accurate estimates and make sure they are the right fit for your project.
- Trust your gut: If you don’t feel comfortable with a particular roofer, don’t hire them. There are plenty of other qualified roofers out there, sometimes more than you can shake a stick at :D.
Choosing the right roofer is an important decision. By following all the tips above, you can be sure to find a qualified roofer who will do a great job and give you peace of mind. If you are considering re-roofing your property, please contact us prior to selecting your roofer, so that we can help you develop a scope of work for your future roofing contractor.